Sunday, October 7, 2007

Good Ol' Boy

One of Fred Thompson's main platforms when he comes to the Southern states is that he, being from the South, shares both a literal and figurative closeness with people living there. His campaign says not only does he understand what Southern voters want, but he also shares their values. I feel like we as people living in the South are being used by Fred Thompson as a political ploy. He knows that the Southern states are important because they pretty much hold his political future. He doesn't really have as much hope winning in either Iowa or New Hampshire. Because of this, he really needs to win over voters in South Carolina. Now don't get me wrong, it's okay for Fred Thompson to talk about where he's from in his campaign speeches. But just because he's from here, doesn't mean I agree with him or he knows what I'm thinking. He's perpetuating the stereotype that all Southerners think alike and that these thoughts reside strictly on the right side of the political spectrum. I do not appreciate this. I think that Fred needs to realize the even though some if not many people agree with him and his beliefs, by saying that just because he's from here he knows what Southerners think, he is alienating a large section of his base that could be very vital come time for the South Carolina primary.

No comments: